View Single Post
Old 09-15-2013, 01:37 PM
Das German Diesel Mann

Quote:
Originally Posted by psaboic View Post
Hi folks,

Like the title says, on my 83 300D I have (mildly) but noticeable flickering instrument cluster lights while driving at night that started out of the blue about three nights ago. Basically here is what happens. After running for a few minutes, I noticed the white instrument cluster lights will start to lightly flicker while running down the road.
Last night when I noticed it, I stopped in a very dark area and here is what I observed. The instrument cluster dash lights and headlights will flicker/pulse rythmically at a rate of about 2 times per second. They will flicker at idle or if the engine is revved but it is more noticeable with the high beams on or at idle. The interior lights (if turned on) will mildly flicker as well

The battery warning light does not ever come on when this happens but the battery warning light does come on when you first turn the key on so that is acting normally.

What do you think.....voltage regulator going bad, alternator going bad, or something else? I'll check the battery voltage and the alternator for charging voltage in a little bit, but outside of that what do you suggest.

Thanks in advance,

Glenn
Sounds like its alternator / regulator related. If your meter doesn't turn up anything consider taking the alternator to a car parts store for a free check.

Learn more about my Benz here.