View Single Post
Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
I replaced all of the fuses in my 87 SDL today, even though they all looked fine.

When I turned the key to the 2nd position the aux fan came on high. This didn't happen with the old fuse, so I'm guessing that was bad, but I'm also thinking that the aux fan shouldn't run constantly with the key in 2nd position.

I juggled the icecube relays by the fuse box and the fan continued to run with each of the relays I plugged in.

After searching the forum for a bit, I came upon the possibility that the temp sensor might be causing the aux fan to run.

I found this:

and when I unplugged the wire with two plugs, the fan stopped.

Is the sensor my problem, or am I barking up the wrong tree/misunderstanding the issue?

Any insight is much appreciated.
I actually had this same issue in my 75 300D. the car was parked in a garage for 15 years just being out about 2 months when I got it. I reversed some cooky work and noticed that when the A/C was on and or when the temp climbed slightly the AUX fan did not come on. On my model (and on most cars) the fan is controlled by the water temp sensor in the t-stat housing as well as the refrigerant temp sensor on the A/C dryer. I closed the circuit on the temp sensor and dryer and no fan. then I inspected the fan, I had power... disassembled the fan and cleaned it made sure the brushes were making solid contact. the last thing I did is replace the 8a fuse for a 16a as the diagram depicted and now the fan runs in key pos. #2 constantly from the first turn in the morning to the last revolution of the day... i have disconnected the two sensors and it still operates... everything looks undisturbed...

1975 300D, Feuerrot and Parchment interior

1971 220D (RIP)