View Single Post
Old 09-18-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmash View Post
Not too familiar with military policy but I would not think a high value target like a carrier would be parked dock side in a foreign country providing power, water and food for the indigenous people. Helicopters yes but I call BS on the rest.

Anyone know if this ever happened?
Dave, AFAIK the Navy doesn't tie carriers to piers in foreign lands. One exception is probably the carrier that is home-ported in Japan. I forget which one is home ported there now, but until a couple of years ago, it was the USS Kitty Hawk.

Routinely, when there is a natural disaster, the United States Navy lends a hand. Think Haiti, Sri Lanka, and Fukishima. Carriers were sent to each. IIRC, the Lincoln went to Sri Lanka and the George Washington was diverted to Japan. They anchor off shore and helo food, water & med supplies to aid native populations. The Naval hospital ships (USNS vessels) also are sent where and as needed.

Lincoln Strike Group Winds Down Active Engagement in Operation Unified Assistance

When disaster occurs in foreign lands, and the phone rings in the White House, the first question a president asks is "Where are the carriers?".
Kudos to Obama for reminding the world leaders at the G20 that its his job as president to answer the calls the others make to him asking for help.