View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 04:07 PM

I lived for a decade in that region, Botswana, South Africa, Swaziland, Zambia and travelled a lot. Okavango safaris were the best.

I was along with my family in Victoria falls and stayed overnight in one of the lodges, I being the nutjob I am decided to take a stroll in the dark - so I did, the next day when I walked the same trail I was truly, genuinely scared of what could have happened. Big cats come out to relax and sleep at night besides the walkways in the bushes. Right where I had walked I saw 4 or 5 big impressions in the ground where they were (confirmed by local ranger).. I guess they were full and satisfied hence did not want a small snack like me.

in any case - when on a safari the first thing a mechanic/driver does is to remove fan fare horns from the trucks because it sounds like a rhino or elephant baby in pain. You dont want to know what the big chief of the elephants thinks of this, because he brings the posse with him. The guides or crazed south african bounty hunters will tell you never to get close to a rhino in his/her senses unless you have no reason to live in the next hour.

All of this is fascinating because the vehicle you are in has no roof or doors either. Makes you learn about respecting power a lot.

1995 E300D - The original humming machine (consumed by Flood 2017)
2000 E320 - The evolution (consumed by flood 2017)