Thread: The Death Car?
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 PM
A Talent for Obfuscation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbomachines View Post
Depends, I've driven some powerful cars that were not too hard to learn on, then some not so powerful cars that were near impossible to shift nicely. Some dealers absolutely refuse to take people out on test drives in cars like that unless they are really serious about buying (basically signing the documents that day).

I went in a Nissan dealer when checking out BMWs. The 370Z was on my list to try and feel out. As soon as I told the guy I wasn't going to buy that day, he pretty much showed me the door. From what I hear thats actually common to a lot of Nissan dealers. The Z is still sitting in their lot 3 months later with the outrageous price tag on it. Joke's on him, I bought a different car.
I can't blame them in a way - a lot of people can't resist taking such a car out for a test drive. If the salesmen acquiesced to every request, there wouldn't be much of a car left to sell after a few weeks. The Shelby salesman went to great pains to indicate that the clutch takeup on the Shelby is very gradual and forgiving, while enthusiast's forums say the opposite. I'll be finding out on my own soon enough, as I am the designated test pilot.