View Single Post
Old 09-28-2013, 04:15 PM
...like a shield of steel

The W201 differential refresh thread

G'day Folks,

"Before you start working on your own differential please consider the comments made in post# 87 http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/3501569-post87.html"

Here's one for all you W201 owners with noisy differentials. I haven't driven many miles in my W201 at motorway speeds but the few I have done were enough. It is really irritating listening to that over run whine. It is even worse listening to it on acceleration too.

I bought this 3.46 final drive ratio differential for about 90 euros delivered to do up and hopefully end up with a quiet one.

I'm not sure I got a great buy – the input shaft was a bit rough and it turns out there's a knackered bearing race. I was sold this differential as “a quiet one” - it might well have been quiet but it looks like it has been filled with engine oil rather than hypoid gear oil.

So folks here's probably the dirtiest differential in town =>

To help me fix it up I'm following the FSM (http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/11832/Resources/201Create/PDF/10005.pdf), but as it is full of special tools that not even the dealer has; I'm going to see how far I can go with as many simple tools as possible.

After getting as much muck off the differential as possible and then draining some of the Castrol GTX that would come out of the drain plug I removed the rear cover and watched the rest of the gunk flop out onto the work bench...

Next trouble that everyone seems to struggle with is removal of those pesky C clips that hold the axial shafts in place. At least on a W201 you don't need to tackle these buggers when changing axles but you do need to take them out for this. The W123 differential C clips are actually a bit easier than these ones because a pair of bent long nosed pliers will do the job. I had to go scrabbling about in my tool box for a thin Allen key – mounted in a pair of mole grips you can yank the C clips out and then chase after them as they try to leave the confines of your garden / garage.

Attached Thumbnails
The W201 differential refresh thread-w201_018-dirty-diff-naughty-diff1.jpg   The W201 differential refresh thread-w201_018-dirty-diff-naughty-diff2.jpg   The W201 differential refresh thread-w201_018-dirty-diff-naughty-diff3.jpg   The W201 differential refresh thread-w201_018-diff-cover-off.jpg   The W201 differential refresh thread-w201_018-using-mole-grips-allen-key-pull-c-clips.jpg  

1961 Volvo PV544 Bare metal rat rod-ish thing

I'm here to chat about cars and to help others - I'm not here "to always be right" like an internet warrior

Don't leave that there - I'll take it to bits!

Last edited by vstech; 07-26-2015 at 10:05 PM.