View Single Post
Old 10-02-2013, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandor View Post
GGR,

>65mm is good for at least 300 hp (that's what my engine delivers)

May I ask what mods other the MS did you do to achieve that?
Thanks,
More exactly, 254hp DIN were measured at the rear wheels, which translates into 300hp DIN for the engine (with manual transmission) according to an online conversion site.

My engine is an early euro 5.0L out of a 450SLC 5.0 which develops 241hp DIN in stock form. I have kept the long block stock with 8.8:1 CR and an estimated 200.000 miles on it when dynoed. I have retained the tri-Y exhaust system that was on the 450SLC 5.0. I have fitted the engine with a pair of AMG 50.1 camshafts with solid lifters, the D-jet intake and Megasquirt which controls injection and EDIS wasted spark ignition.

As a reference, back in the day, AMG reported 276hp DIN on that same engine, with a bump from 8.8 to 9.2 CR, heads ported from 39 to 41mm, bigger intake valves and the same 50.1 AMG camshafts with solid lifters. My engine makes 24 more hp without all these changes apart from the camshafts. Megasquirt is certainly a good part of it, but I think the D-jet manifold is also playing a role. However, some caution should be used by comparing hp figures as they can vary depending on dynos, formulas (ancillaries taken into account or not), and I don't have all the details. But given the mileage on my long block, its stock form, and driving comparison with some cars fitted with AMG modified engines , I believe the package I have used is quite a good one, especially when it comes to the "work + cost = results" equation.

Last edited by GGR; 10-02-2013 at 07:42 AM.