View Single Post
Old 10-04-2013, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Air&Road View Post
I'm not intimately familiar with that particular diff. I've e done a number of nine inch Fords and few 8.8's. As long as you get the pattern and backlash correct, you should be okay.

I learned how to set them up from a video tape over 20 years ago. If you've never done that particular axle type, I expect you can find a YouTube or ten that will help a lot.

I say all this and you may very well have more axle experience than myself, so no offense meant.

I think the motive gear set will be fine as long as you set it up right. You might use synthetic lube too. It's expensive, but nowadays I use it in almost everything.

Good luck
When I was a Diesel Mechanic I worked on Fuel Injection and Engines. In fact most of the Engines turned Generators.

I have never ever been this far into a Differential. My only previous experience is with Changing Axles and the Bearings.

The only 2 hang-ups I can see are the Carrier Bearing Preload and if I removed the Pinion Gear the Pinion Gear Height.
But, I believe I can take the height of the Pinion Gear before I pull it and replace it to the same height
With the Carrier Bearings it has the one original Cast Iron Spacer on each end. Meaning no one has been inside and replace the Spacers with a Shim Pack.
If need be I can re-do the Gear back lash as I have experience doing that on other stuff.