View Single Post
Old 10-06-2013, 08:34 PM

OK I found the problem.

Only thing that made sense, was that the wiring in the door pillar was shorting. I set up my meter so it plugged into blue/brown sockets of window switch. Then tried jiggling the 4-wire harness is sections. I finally found that jiggling the section inside the pillar caused a short.

I opened up the woven covering down at the base of the pillar and cut the blue wire. I had in mind to pull it out and run a new separate wire. When I pulled from the switch end, I got a piece about 12" long. And other end had not moved! Pulled it the other way and it was clear it had been broken inside sheath for some time.

I then cut all the wires at the pillar base and pulled the harness out from switch end. All but one wire were mangled. Yet the outside sheath showed no sign of this! I don't know what did that to the wires inside the pillar. Only things I know of in there are the door lightswitch and the bracket for the door check. I will have a look with borescope, although the one I have is not too good in tight places.

I may run new wires or perhaps just splice the existing. But I need a better sheath. Maybe use some heat shrink? I need something that can be fed in and make some tight turns - Probably why they used the woven type.
Attached Thumbnails
w123 300d - no climate control lights-123-window-harness-cut.jpg   w123 300d - no climate control lights-123-window-broken-wires.jpg