Thread: W116, no spark
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2013, 05:51 AM

Quote:
If I may, with all respect, the type of fuel injection system has nothing to do with the ignition system. The two systems are entirely discrete, and not connected to each other in any way. Hence, mention of "K-jet" while discussing the ignition system is meaningless.
Understood, but the fact that the K-Jet and D-Jet have interchangeable ignition systems is valuable information on it's own, and not previously known by the bunch of shade tree mechanics that I troubleshoot with.

Quote:
The "silver box" which you previously mentioned is a signal amplifier and a primary current controller. The "star" segments in the distributor, when rotating, pass matching pole pieces of fixed magnets in the shell of the distributor. Those pole pieces are surrounded by coils of wire. As the star passes the pole pieces the magnetic field is altered, and the change in the magnetic field induces a current in the coils. That small current reaches the amplifier via the green coaxial cable, where it is amplified by biasing a transistor to switch the primary current through the ignition coil on and off. The negative terminal of the ignition coil is connected and disconnected to and from ground through the aforementioned switching transistor. A charge is not sent to the distributor, rather, a current is generated in the distributor.
This info, however, is golden, and gave me the confidence to start pulling apart things. The green wire ( culprit #1 ) looked good, so I removed the plug from the "silver box" and lo and behold, the thing is full of water. This fits in nicely with the crime scene scenario, the car had been standing for quite a while, why the sudden loss of spark ? Rain.

Thus, next step is to find a compatible "silver box". The one I'm to replace is also from a scrapyard it would appear as it has "450 SEL" written on it's backside in marker pen.

A photo for your amusement....

VW Golf 1 convertable - midlife crisis item
VW T4 van - support vehicle