View Single Post
Old 10-08-2013, 10:45 PM
Resident Teen Superhero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooseppi Luna View Post
Just a thought -- the metalwork in shaping the body panels may be one of the tougher parts of the project. I've always thought it would be fun to build my own car, but I'd thought of something more like a Jeep-type body for ease of fabrication. What kind of frame would you be using? Ladder? Perimeter? Where would you get the metal for this project?

I'd say go nuts, at least design it. Designing is a lot of fun, and you'll certainly learn a lot in the process. If you actually build a car, no-one will be able to question your user title .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jooseppi Luna View Post
I would also look into what you need to do to register a homebuilt vehicle in NM. I wonder what would happen if you got hit in the car in terms of insurance... how would they determine the value of the car and how would they determine the repair cost?
I've done a bit of fabrication before, on a Jeep that I turned into a dune buggy. It turned out pretty well, though it was just simple stuff

I wanted to do something that was a lot more advanced, because I have access to the machinery for more advanced stuff during the summer. For the rest of the year though, just working at an auto body shop will have to suffice

For the frame, I will likely be doing a mixture of several different styles (except unibody), in order to be as structurally sound as possible. I think that the car will also have a basic roll cage, for safety and ease of construction/replacement of body panels in the case of an accident.

And as far as I know, in order to register a homemade vehicle in New Mexico, all you need is to get it weighed, inspected, have a part list, and you are good. I don't know about emissions though... Guess it is lucky I don't have to do testing in my county!

1985 Euro w123.130 300D (Naturally Aspirated)(bad transmission)

I have studied many philosophers and many cats. The wisdom of cats is infinitely superior.
--Hippolyte Taine