View Single Post
Old 10-10-2013, 04:09 PM

Anybody ever tried any stop leak product in a #14 head??

Ok, I know I'm probably going to get thrown under the bus, drug through the mud, kicked in the shins and punched in the face for this one, but here it goes anyway.
Just wondering why with the #14 head known propensity to crack, especially small fissures between the valves, would it not make sense to try some head/block seal products instead of tear into a 25 year old engine, also with the fact that a good revised head is so stinking expensive. A new #22 head might be justified on a pristine example of a car, but I'm guessing those are getting fewer as well. Most of these vehicles, even though they function daily are getting high on miles and in need of more and more repair.
I have heard near miracle cures from some of the products on the market, and actually have several friends that used them to patch up an old clunker to get by for a while longer.

Just wondering in case it ever happens to me, I have perused these forums quite a bit and have never seen a thread on it, and a search didn't turn up anything.
I know it's not the proper way to fix something, and is only a Band-Aid over the real problem and no one knows if it will work, and for how long.

Just wondering if it is even an option to keep in the back recesses of ones brain for an emergency situation? Has anyone used any of the block/head seal products on the market with any success with a cracked #14 head or is replacement the only option??