View Single Post
Old 10-16-2013, 12:24 PM
User title not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by Can't Know View Post
I tend to side with Larry. Given the amount of labor involved, if I were going in I'd be replacing everything. I'd also rebuild the clutch slave cylinder along the way.

Given your specific symptom, I'd think most about the throwout bearing. But still, if I were going in that far, a new/rebuilt pressure plate and clutch plate would be in the works. I don't know that I'd bother with resurfacing the flywheel, though, as I can't figure out what that would have to do with chatter only when cold. Plus, unless a modern flywheel is seriously abused, they usually outlast the rest of the car.

That said, so long as it's not slipping and the problem doesn't get markedly worse (which might indicate an impending failure in the clutch plate or TO bearing), then I'd just drive it.
I'll probably just resurface the flywheel anyway -- I'm guessing it's not too pretty at this point. After what Million Mile Joe did, I'm counting on driving this car 'til the day I die .

Interesting thought about rebuilding the slave -- hadn't thought of that.
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."

Last edited by Mölyapina; 10-16-2013 at 12:42 PM.