View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMan View Post
People tend to not question authority when it comes dressed in a uniform with a badge and a gun. Approximately fifteen years ago, in a New England state, a serial rapist utilized Starsky and Hutch flashing police lights on his car so he could pull women over and rape them. After he committed his fifth rape, the state finally woke up and declared that ALL police cars would be clearly identified (clear identifiable markings on the side of the car). As a result of this serial rapist's pretend cop strategy, the state took all plain wrapper, unmarked police cars out of circulation.

They also came out and told people to not be afraid to ask for Badge ID Number, name and supervisor's name and if in doubt of their authenticity, call the REAL police to check the guy out. A badge and a uniform represents a LOT of power and if used by the wrong people, can result in horrific crimes.

To this day, every time I see someone pulled over by a plain wrapper unmarked "police car", I worry that they are REALLY the police and not a criminal/thug using cop lights and a badge to commit a crime. Scary stuff indeed.......
I wonder about this too - in CA it is not uncommon to see unmarked 'cop' cars driving around. Every now and then you will also see them with someone pulled over. About the only thing that gives it away are the plates (CA exempt); however, short of that it is often difficult to tell one from the other, as crown vics are no longer the only cop car.