View Single Post
Old 10-27-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indisguise View Post
Back again

FYI...I recently changed to pertronix and this may be timing... But I doubt it.

Issue..........

1. On cold mornings (50ish...spot the Californian) the car starts fine.
2 .for the first mile the car drives fine.
3 Suddenly the idle drops then the car idles very erratically.
4 if the accelerator is pressed the car runs fine.
5 this symptom lasts for about 30 seconds and then is never seen again!
6. This never happens on afternoon cold starts
7. This only happens on cooler mornings

Any ideas?

I am thinking,

Temp sensor issues.
OK, I am assuming you are talking about your V-8 D-Jet.

The D-Jet has two mixture control circuits. One for idle and one for when pedal has only slightly been moved. So when you take your foot off pedal, you are changing to the idle mixture control circuit in ECU (which can be adjusted using the screw on the ECU).

On the D-Jet, the AAV (aux air valve) gradually reduces the amount of air bypassing the throttle plate and entering the intake manifold as the engine warms up. This in turn reduces the idle speed. AAVs can be troublesome and sticky. If you haven't cleaned it, do so. Once engine gets good and warm, the AAV should be closed (it should actually be closed at 150F and move smoothly as it warms up). Try getting engine fully warmed up and then set idle speed to about 750rpm. That might avoid your cut out problem.

The other temperature inputs to ECU are from the two temperature sensors. The manual provides the resistance vs temperature curves for the sensors. Maybe pull them, clean up the ends and measure resistance at various temperatures. The curves are also in this link:
D Jetronic

Last edited by Graham; 10-27-2013 at 02:47 PM.