View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 04:26 PM

Euro Light/Wiper Conversion

Euro Light/Wiper Conversion

My apology for not being available to reply to the many queries in the numerous threads over the past year. I will try here to cover the main outstanding questions on this topic, as well as meet requests to provide some semblance of organization for the various stages of this conversion.

Benefits:
Discussion on this site of the benefits of conversion to Euro lights began in early 2000. See Headlight Wipers & Euro Headlights
Since then, many have testified to the vast improvement in lighting without the need for over-wattage bulbs. My regrets to those who have written to ask for supplier information for the Bosch units. Since I haven’t been in that market for a couple of years, I’m no longer a good source for that information.

Installation:
As many have found, installation of the Euro lights is straightforward, and wiring is a breeze when you use the pin conversions that I posted earlier on Procedure to convert connectors for Euro headlights

The major problems in this conversion have concerned the headlight washers/wipers. Some people can do without them, but most wish to keep them for safety reasons. Even the much better Euro lights are useless when coated with a film of salt, mud or dust!

Options and Solutions:

1). Many have replaced their wiper systems with the Euro motors, arms and fascia plates at significant cost (equivalent to the price of the headlamps). This is unnecessary and has no particular benefit over the US conversion.

2). Others have scrapped their washers/wipers believing that the conversion is prohibitively expensive for the benefit. Not so, if you can make the conversion without replacing all the parts.

3). Many others have used the conversion procedures and adapter bracket that I described in earlier posts. Taking the conversion this far enables fully functioning wipers at no cost and with minimal labor. While this works and looks fine, the wipers clean only 80% of the full lens and look a bit short for the wider Euro lens.

4). The next stage is to obtain full Euro appearance and functionality at minimum cost. In an earlier post I outlined several possible solutions and have since had the opportunity to implement most of them. One approach that many of you have asked about is retaining the U.S. motors while replacing the wiper arms and blades with the Euro version. For full functionality it is not necessary to replace the U.S. arms, you need only replace the wiper blades with the longer Euro version ($10). They are directly interchangeable, with one note – the blade should be installed with the overhang projecting outward from the arm.

Aesthetic Touches:
Replacing the wiper arms would eliminate the 1” overhang (purely cosmetic). Another difference is that the Euro blades point ‘in’ at rest, rather than ‘out’ in the U.S. version. This difference appears to be arbitrary but the purist may wish to make the change anyway. Again, there is no need to replace anything, simply switch each U.S. motor to the opposite side.

So there you have it – full DIY Euro headlight conversion for the cost of the lights plus about $20 for new Euro wipers (which require periodic replacement anyway).

If you’re contemplating this conversion, I’m confident you’ll be very happy with the results, as well as the ease and affordability with which it can be done.