View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 05:45 PM

vibration like a power sander when in drive...

...but not in reverse or neutral while parked!

Howdy! I just inherited a pretty nice '79 300SD to go with my '79 300SD! I'm pretty excited because it shares the same earlier chassis number, so we can share parts! I have not driven it yet, just got it started this afternoon after charging the (Sears Diehard battery...THE SHAME!), and noticing that the cold start knob had popped it's lid! I reached up and found the lid, so that's miles behind me.

The previous owner was having trouble starting it. I wonder why? They did not think it ran, but have owned it since new, and took great care with it.

Once I got it started, I put it in drive, and this HORRID vibration starting, not like a diesel engine sway, but more like a floor sander that shook the steering wheel, the seats, the whole cabin, and worst of all, ME!

It stops when I put it in neutral or reverse, so I'm wondering if it might be a simple motor/trans mount, or if the tranny is crying!

What do you all think?

This car is a sweetie, leaky a little but really nice looking inside and out. I keep peeking at it from the windows in different parts of the house.

P.S. After charging the battery and solving the cold idle knob problem, it started pretty well in 9 degree weather! That's more than I can say for my other one.

I have the service records. It was serviced very regularly, has had two new timing chains (wow!), two new climate control servos, and a plethora of window regulators (thank goodness!)but no mention of any tranny work or motor/trans mount work.

Think buzz saw, think crop duster!

I've missed you! Glad to see you are all still here!