View Single Post
Old 01-11-2003, 09:57 PM
1986 560 SEL info needed

Hello all. I am new to this site. Looks like a great site. I am considering buying a local, southern, rust-free 1986 Mercedes-Benz 560 SEL 4dr. The car has 124K and is dark gray, with light gray interior. The car currently belongs to a doctor, who has supposedly maintained it well. It is currently at a Chrysler-Dodge-Lincoln-Mercury dealership, that is selling it for him. The saleslady said he was asking $4800. for the car, but may take less. According to KBB, the price seems close to the private party value. But not sure what most sell for. According to E-Bay- the prices vary drastically. Does anyone here have any input on the price? The car is on VGC, good paint and the interior is in VGC. I have not driven it yet, as the saleslady that was to show it to me was gone the day I looked at it. Another salesman showed me the car. The battery was dead and we had to use a booster to start it. When it started, the engine sounded good, but when I turned the steering wheel, their was a "growling" sound under the hood. I am guessing power steering pump. Either was low on fluid, or a bad pump. Any input on this? Also, aside from heat/AC and electrical, what other areas should I check? Are the 5.6L engines good engines? Is 124K a lot for this car? I know the diesels will go over 500K easy if well maintained, but not sure about the gasoline cars. Any info appreciated.
1993 Mercedes 400SEL 4dr
2012 Honda Civic LX 4dr
1972 Chevrolet Caprice Kingswood Estate 9-passenger wagon
1973 Pontiac Grand Ville 4-dr hardtop sedan
1988 Mercedes 300SEL (was mine, now mothers)