View Single Post
Old 11-08-2013, 03:45 PM

Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUkrainian View Post
Alright, so I have a bunch of information on my other thread titled "300d 4 speed manual conversion" Basically, I did a valve adjustment during the conversion and now, my car starts up really rough, and it smokes white ALOT. It smells like it runs rich or something and it randomly misfires, no matter if the car is warm or not. I changed all of the glowplugs, but the one on #1 cyl was broken so I used one of my old ones. Now the glow plug light doesnt light up unless I turn the key 3 times. I did a compression test and all cylinders seem to have ok compression, all are above 300 except #5 is just under 300. I replaced the heat shield washers under the fuel injectors, hoping this would solve my problem. I also pulled the valve cover off again, thinking maybe I adjusted the valves wrong or something, but everything seems to be fine. I'm 16 and I dont know what to do anymore. Please help! Thanks. -David
Hello David
RELAX...

Here is how you should look at the vehicle now..

Ignore anything related to your 300d 4 speed manual conversion, and STOP mentioning it = it only stresses you and adds nothing to an engine performance issue..

You performed a Basic valve adjustment, using dieselgiant DIY. = Important Diagnostic DATA...

The car starts up really rough with lots of white smoke. = Important Diagnostic DATA...

It smells like it runs rich or something and it randomly misfires, no matter if the car is warm or not. = Important Diagnostic DATA...

You changed all of the glow plugs, but the new unit on #1 cyl was broken/damaged/defective, and you replaced it with a used one. = Important Diagnostic DATA...

After replacing the damaged NEW #1 unit with a USED glow plug, the glow plug light doesn't light up unless the key is cycled three times. = Important Diagnostic DATA...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrUkrainian View Post
The compression for the cylinders was something like #1 360 #2 350 #3 320 #4 310 and number five was about 295. The engine was cold when I did the test. The injectors seemed to be fine. My cousin checked their spray patterns a little over a year ago. All seemed to be firing ok.
Piston cylinder compression test numbers are:
#1. 360 PSI
#2. 350 PSI
#3. 320 PSI
#4. 310 PSI
#5. 295 PSI

The cylinder head would be coming off if this was my engine.

The numbers are indicating (at least) a failing cylinder head gasket.
Diesel cylinder head issues thread

om615, 616, and 617 head bolt torque sequence

You replaced the heat shield washers under the fuel injectors. = Important Diagnostic DATA...

You re-checked the valve adjustment, and it seems OK..

You are 16 and are seeking advice, in what has become a stressful situation. = wisdom and letting members know your skill level.

Prototype R&D/testing:
Thermal & Aerodynamic System Engineering (TASE) Senior vehicle instrumentation technician.
Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH).
Dynamometer.
Heat exchanger durability.
HV-A/C Climate Control.
Vehicle build.
Fleet Durability
Technical Quality Auditor.
Automotive Technical Writer

1980 240D
1983 300D
1984 190D

Last edited by whunter; 11-08-2013 at 04:27 PM.