View Single Post
Old 11-10-2013, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch View Post
First thing I would do is get a jack under the ball joint on the end of the lower control arm.

To be honest I think you now have to deal with the situation as it is and kick yourself up the backside for not installing the spring compressor correctly later on.

Next thing I would do is remove the shock out of the way.

Then I'd loosen the brake stay at the bulkhead and shorten the length of the brake stay so that you can you can remove it from the lower control arm

Then I'd lower the end of the lower control arm and / or raise the height of the vehicle so that the lower control arm flops out of the way. To do this you also need to loosen the eccentric bolts on the chassis end of the lower control arm.

As the lower control arm falls away don't let that spring bounce out.
First, I guess it's worth mentioning that I do have a fine floor jack under the LCA, which is why I was able to remove the nut on the UCA without dying. I am concerned that since the LCA isn't a flat surface and moves at a curved angle, there is no reliable way to disconnect it (the LCA) without that spring decompressing and shooting across the garage, along with the newly freed LCA. In other words, there is no way I am going to be able to balance the thing just right on the jack.

Any more thoughts? I am also worried that using the external compressor on a spring already bulging (i.e. curved) like this is going to be even more dangerous and maybe impossible.

Thanks.
Mike