View Single Post
Old 11-12-2013, 12:50 PM
1987 w124 300D

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmcphee View Post
You can do this faster and cheaper on a w124. I bought a 2-channel momentary output remote pair and installed the receiver in my trunk. Tapped into the three wires going to the trunk latch, to get + and - for the receiver power, and one line controls lock and unlock. Grounding the wire (via output relay) locks, and providing a +12 to the wire (via the other output relay) unlocks. (I may have confused which is which.. but you get the idea).

Key still works everywhere as it should.

Don't care about the alarm since I've disconnected that, but I imagine this mod would work just fine. It emulates un/locking the whole vehicle from the trunk using a key. So if this key action would normally un/arm the factory alarm, then this model probably does the same using remote.

I haven't used a key in the door tumbler since...

The remote even has a lock / unlock symbols and is keychain style, and get this.. has metal and a slider cover... it's meant for vehicle application you can tell.

ebay... $10 GO CHINA!

working strong 2 years later
If your remote "stops working" (you press buttons and hear clicks but nothing happens) it has to do with the anti-theft system falling into an unsure state thinking someone is trying to break in. Don't worry, you can reset this using key.

If you ever have a battery event (goes flat, take a boost, etc) whereby the computer loses power. You will have to remember to do the key in door locking thing first, before the remote will "start working" again. Actually the remote is working all the time, the car is just ignoring the inputs on the Yellow wire until it "learns" that the car is not being stolen (a key has been used in the door).

1987 300D