View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 02:53 AM

Mom's New Car! gray market 1980 280E converted to an OM617 turbo diesel

Some of you know about me getting a car for my mom
San Antonio Drivers, Help a Motha out.

and the demise of said car
Mom-mobile down (wrecked 300D)

Well today I picked up a new car for my mom.
Found this project on craigslist last week, but been kinda holding the news of the car close to my vest until I was actully the owner.

The car is a gray market 1980 280E. Some years back the engine died and the car was sold. The fellow who bought it was a mercedes mechanic. he converted the car to a turbo diesel. The car has all of its original interior and its original 4 speed transmission. This is one of the cleanest interiors I've ever seen. Anyway, the mechanic fellow built the car for his girlfriend. well, things happen, they split up and then the car was in an accdent. Not having the connections she once had she wasn't able to afford the repairs, so she put it up forsale.

She was every happy to hear that the car wasn't going to be parted but built into my moms new car.

Here are some pictures.

Somethings fallowing us home

I love the pattern on the cloth interior

The read bumper has some damage. does anyone have experence straightning them?

Here are the detail pics of the damage.

I talked to my friend at the body shop. He said the whole radiator support needs changed. So my next stop will be the pick n pull to cut the nose off a w123.