View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 03:24 AM

I've got at my disposal a Becker Mexico 2340 head unit and a Becker Silverstone 2360 disc changer.
It's mounted in a 1995 E280 (european spec) parts car. This car does not have the fader.
It looks to be a dealer installed system. It was very nicely done. Although it's Becker, it doesn't say MB on it, so it's not factory. And if it were installed by an audio shop in Taiwan, they probably wouldn't have installed a Becker. But that's just a guess.

In adapting it to my car I have the advantage that it is still installed in the donor car and all I need to do is decipher how to install it in my car.

My car is a 93 european spec 280E.
I got the car with a sony stereo installed. I guess some of the original plugs and harness have been removed by the installer who mounted the Sony. But it still has the fader and it still works to fade the rear speakers only. I plan to bypass the fader and put a central doorlock switch in its place in the console (also courtesy of the donor car). The central locking switch would be loads more useful than the fader and will appear to be original equipment when I'm done.

Looking behind the radio in the donor car, there seem to be WAY too many wires.

The wires going to the 4 speakers and the signal wire for the antenna are clear enough to understand.

The shielded cable from the CD unit has been adapted to a square plug into the head unit. The two audio wires from the CD have been similarly adapted.

What should be left should be just a few more power wires.
But there's just way, way more than that. There's a huge harness coming in from the cars wiring loom with at least 10 more wires which is integral with the Becker square plugs.
There is nothing like all this wiring in my 93 280E. What is all this spaghetti!
I can't fathom. Could it be an alarm?
For lack of a diagram, I'll have to trace the whole thing out.

If anyone has a schematic showing the pin positions on the unit. That would be a big help.
Also, if anyone has the wiring diagram for the 1995 european spec E280 I would be much obliged!