View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel911 View Post
One of our Member suggested that if the Fuel Supply Pressure was on the low end that the first Element on the Fuel Injection Pump would receive more Fuel than the other cylinders.
If that is what is happening the number one cylinder would carry more of the load than the other cylinders and be worn more.
I was not going to get into that until he repairs the current issue. Basically with chronic low fuel pressure on the 616 engines I believe the first cylinder is forced to carry more of the load.

So more first cylinder wear issues are reported. Especially rod bearing failures. The five cylinder 617 also can display this issue but is not as common.

The low fuel pressure issue has to be present for a very long time I suspect. This is quite possible as well.

One possible culprit is the lift pump produces less fuel pressure by design than does the five cylinder turbo models. Since it only requires a spring change to upgrade the 616 lift pump I recommend doing it. No way to absolutely prove what I believe but it does make some sense.