View Single Post
Old 11-19-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit Man X View Post
Yes, by all means flush the thing. No telling what oil is actually in there now, you answered this yourself once you discovered the seller was full of it.
Do you know of a non-exotic-tools method of doing the flush?

Quote:
TXV on a W126 is not that bad, it is a pain but doable within an hour if you have the proper tools. Crows feet and line wrenches that fit a ratchet...
I've been looking for an excuse to add those tools to my inventory - yep, I saw what you mean; the TXV is in a sort of horizontal "well" up above the pedals, where there's no human working-position that is comfortable. But I've got a new valve on hand so... okay, I will do it.

Quote:
I would not use 134A, but it is your car. R12 cools far better in these. I suppose if you went for a parallel flow condenser you would have decent vent temps. No experience there, sorry.
Jeez, I'm afraid to even look for R12. If it's got to be purchased from outside my island, it's automatically going to be huge $$$ due to hazmat transportation charges. I suppose there are A/C shops that sell it after reclaiming...? (I'd been wondering about going with the Next Big Boondoggle, Puron, but I've already got too many variables.)

Quote:
Esther is a woman's name.
Yeah, I liked that, too. I was once after a girl named Esther, until I found out she was already living with another guy. From that day forward, she was thus dubbed 'Polyesther.'

Quote:
Verify all the vacuum pods work, the three behind glove box can be swapped in about 30min and cause many of the issues such as defrost only, poor vent temps due to no recirculated air, etc.
That reminds me of a really annoying (but predictable) finding from my poking around in the evaporator box: I think probably ALL of the vinyl foam "door" seals in my system have turned to that nasty-sticky dust. I can't imagine an easy remedy for that, and was prepared to just blow/vacuum it out and live with the leaks...but do you know of a reasonable fix, short of extracting all the air-handling components and gluing in some closed-cell neoprene? Does someone sell a retrofit that's not the same crappy open-cell foam?

Quote:
Later SDs had a better condenser, smaller water pump pulley, and upgraded fans (clutched and aux)...these all improve vent temps at low speeds/idle. BTW, the M116/7 fan with clutch off a 420/560 fits, should be the same off a 380/500... those fans move way more air and probably cheaper than finding a late SD fan with clutch.
Quote:
I highly recommend dumping that GM R4 compressor and going with a Sanden conversion. Best thing I ever did for my SD. It was $200 plus the cost of compressor and building a few hoses. If you are uncertain of the condition of your R4, do not take the chance. Made that mistake on the 560 with the Denso on there as it worked, rebuilt it all, etc. Compressor body leaks. It is the original from '91 though, so no one to blame but me.
Hours later, I've seen a bunch of your posts mixed in with the Sanden conversion-related threads on this forum. Def looks like the way to go, and it looks like these mods do perform OK (or even startlingly-well) with R134a, too. I've asked for pricing from Rollguy & the Klima website. Thanks for nudging me in this direction - I'm all about getting it right the first time...

--Dave