Thread: WTF?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdrun View Post
I have at best mixed feelings about automated cars. Good on paper, but they'll also enable those dumb arseholes who want to live in BFE, Pennsyltucky and commute 3 hr into the city by car every day, since they can do work while driving
That is a problem, because...?

Quote:
I can see more interesting applications for unmanned vehicles. Imagine a vehicle roughly the size of a motorcycle that can weave through traffic, approach houses, and have an articulated arm to do express package deliveries, for example.
Well, yes, perhaps on paper, but in the working world, it is no a good idea to antagonize the neighborhood, so to speak.

Quote:
This being said, V2V shouldn't be needed for automated cars, since they need to be able to react to non-car objects (pedestrians, animals, debris), as well as cars where the signal is blocked or the system is broken.
Not true. A system such as that would rely on V2V plus external radar or equivalent, and possibly a 3rd system as well. But i do agree that the article doesn't do a good job of describing the utility of V2V tech.

Quote:
It also seems forward to mandate a specific system when self-driving cars aren't even yet at the VHS-vs-Betamax stage and tech will change rapidly.
I agree with this.