View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 12:28 PM
dieselarchitect

I left my house at 7 am yesterday, flew out of Indy, landed at RR in DC. I could see the capital building, the jeffereson memorial and the washington monument...the WM was covered 2/3 if its height with scaffolding so it took a few minutes to realize what it was. RR is without doubt the busiest ap I have ever been to. We walked up the fold out steps to get into the small commuter jet to Norfolk. It was a lovely day. Broken clouds meant sometimes I could see the ground and sometimes not. The appalacians were interesting. It seemed they went almost to the coast to be replaced by a lot of swampy areas. Norfolk was interesting to fly over and drive about with the huge flattops in the water being serviced. Jim's place is in a very nice area with lots of trees and swamps nearby to assure plenty of bugs in the warmer weather. He has some very nice cars in his garage and his own private Mercedes junkyard back in the back of his lot.

After checking out everything and doing the paperwork i headed north about 3pm. I missed a turn right away and lost about 20 minutes then got on I 64 and stayed on it until about ten thirty, when I crossed the Ohio river and took 33 up to Colombus. I missed a turn at Athens and lost another 20 minutes and arrived here at my lovely #1 daughter's place at 2 am.

I had lovely weather until late afternoon and evening when I ran into snow in the mountains. After coming out of the mountains it got nice again until about a hundred miles from Colombus when the snow started again.

The e300D did not skip a beat from Jims house to hear. I stopped and filled once getting 31.5 mpg. I was running 75 whenever I could. The hvac system worked like a charm and my only regret was not letting Jim load my cds into the little mechanism in the trunk. In the mountains and the hills of west virginia and southern Ohio there is precious little to choose from on the radio. I actually listened to a talk show about football for a while and even a religeous station for a while.

I took a nap after breakfast then went over to my grandkids school and checked them out for lunch. We walked across the street and ate at the Chef-o-nette, a little local restaurant where every body seemed to know my grandchildren and what they ate for lunch....heh heh! We sat at the bar and ate. They have the day off tomorrow so there may be snowmen involvde since there was about 3" on the ground when we got up this morning.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.