View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 04:56 PM
New England Hick

Happy Turkey day, all! Off to my BIL's in Fairfield County. It's my first Thanksgiving over 5 min. from home. On the plus side we've just got to worry about wine and a couple appetizers. And afterwards we get to walk away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.C. View Post
Anyone ever deep fry a turkey? I've seen those pot-like turkey fryers, but never would consider using one as I'm allergic to canola oil and setting my house on fire.
Absolutely, it can be fantastic. I prefer peanut oil but have used just about all of them, except motor. The key is to test fit the bird in the pot with water to determine your oil level (and prevent a Fireball Turkey). We've brined, we've rubbed, we've butter & herb injected, we've Tabasco injected. It's all good.

Just pick a spot in the backyard away from everything, have a fire extinguisher handy and never leave it unattended (for safety as well as to maintain temp).

The positives are: crispy skin, very moist (unless overcooked), cooking time is an hour or less and, sometimes most importantly, it gets me out of the house and away from the fray for an hour of relative quiet, beer and a cigar.

Besides the potential unsafety (?), several gals. of oil isn't inexpensive but you can strain it through a cheese cloth and reuse it 2 or 3 times. We'll usually do a wing night a week or two after frying a turkey and then do a fish fry the week after that.

1980 300TD-China Blue/Blue MBTex-2nd Owner, 107K (Alt Blau) OBK #15
'06 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (for the wife & 4 kids, current mule) '03 Honda Odyssey (son #1's ride, reluctantly) '99 GMC Suburban (255K+ miles, semi-retired mule) 21' SeaRay Seville (summer escape pod)