View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbdiesel View Post
Even if he is not prosecuted, that SOB will have to live the rest of his life knowing he gunned down Grandpa...
People are such idiots.

I believe this is just the natural fallout of all the hyperbole spread by the gun-nut crowd. They speak so loudly and with such conviction about our right to defend ourselves with deadly force, that many people are forgetting to apply common sense to determining when that use of force is warranted.
The default seems to be more often, 'the law says I can, so I will' without regard for whether they should....
It is much easier, in the light of day (literally in this case) to see what you should or should not have done. If I had run the Quarterback position, I wouldn't have passed in this case or I would have passed, etc, etc. Monday Morning Quarterback is pretty easy a job. An 0400 disturbance and the person uncooperative is not an easy thing to work with. You have no clue at the time if it will turn out to be simply that he was drunk or that the guy is stonned out on something that he could turn violent. I have, in my job seen a lot of violent Alzheimer's patients that should be in a lock-down facility. Some of them, even RNs have to wear a lifeline that they can call help when the patient gets violent. The image you are trying to conjure up is a harmless sweet grandpa that somebody shot down in his rocking chair. What you failed deliberately to mention was that this was a guy who was scaring people at 0400 who don't know who or what is there. It isn't always easy to know. Considering the world we live in today where you could stop for a broken down car only to be jacked, well, it isn't difficult to see why the resident didn't feel good.

As to cops, they are after the fact and only good for writing up reports so you can claim insurance. Hell, people have reported things and cops are too tied up to bother. I have had to practically hand them a suspect before they charged him. I had to do all the leg work while they said "Well, we probably can't find him, yada, yada, yada.". Had it happen where we called the cops and told them that someone was breaking into a car in the parking lot and they didn't want to bother.
05 Polaris Sportsman 800 EFI
06 Polaris Sportsman 500 EFI
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Red
03 SeaDoo GTX SC Yellow
04 Tailgator 21 ft Toy Hauler
11 Harley Davidson 883 SuperLow