View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatterasguy View Post
...They prevent you from going to jail or having to lose your house and rights to fight a several year long court case, if say you gunned down a robber who was trying to get into your kids room...
Stand-your-ground has never been necessary in that type of case. The parent in your scenario has always had the right to kill a robber trying to get into his or her kids' room.
Quote:
Of if your at a gas station and someone tries to jack your car with a toddler in the back seat...
Same as the first example. Has nothing to do with the recent stand-your-ground laws.
Quote:
Many people who have had a legitimate DGU have lost just about everything in states without stand your ground laws and DA's that hate gun owners.
I don't know what you mean by "many," but I'm guessing that the pain wrongfully inflicted on those people is cummulatively less than the pain wrongfully inflicted on and by people who use deadly force when other means of defense were available.
Quote:
Like any law they can be abused, but that doesn't mean they don't serve a legitimate purpose. Although I think cases of abuse are exceedingly rare.
Well, I think cases where SYG served a beneficial purpose are exceedingly rare. So, without more, my "exceedingly rare" cancels out yours. It's a tie.

These people are unimpressed with SYG: Stand your ground law, Trayvon Martin and a shocking legacy | Tampa Bay Times

YMMV.