View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 02:23 PM
User title not in use

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB3 View Post
making a shifter from one manufacturer, and a transmission from another work as a cohesive unit will be a nightmare if its even possible. They may have entirely different actions to move between gears.

Find out of this is a rod type shifter arrangement, or a cable shifter arrangement, ect. You could have worn linkage bushings, or a rusty cable sheathing slowing down the action depending on the design.

if its super cold, its going to be tough anyway if its got regular gear oil in there. This model transmission doesn't use ATF or synchromesh fluid?
No, I don't think it's a problem in the shifting mechanism. I've shifted new Toyotas and seen other owners write that the Toyota manuals are just kind of uninspiring. After driving a Honda Accord manual, I've wondered if I could at least partially get the much lighter, sharper feel of the Honda into this car... both cars are cable-shifted FWD 5-speeds in the familiar 1-3-5, 2-4-R pattern. I'll go back to the yard next weekend and pull the shifter to see what it looks like underneath compared to the Corolla shifter... it's a large yard, so there are many generations of Hondas and with 5-speeds to choose from. The only thing I'm not sure about is whether the shifter will actually make a big difference. I'm thinking it'll have a big enough influence that I'll at least notice something, but we'll see... if they let me out of the yard with it for $20, I'll definitely get it.

I changed the fluid 15,000 miles ago to Mobil1 Synthetic 75W-90, so that should not be affecting shifter feel much... although in retrospect I wish I'd used Redline. I want to find some 75W-90 to stick outside in really cold weather to see how much it thickens .
"Senior Luna, your sense of humor is still loco... but we love it, anyway." -rickymay ____ "Your sense of humor is still loco... " -MBeige ____ "Señor Luna, your sense of humor is quite järjetön" -Delibes

1982 300SD -- 211k, Texas car, tranny issues ____ 1979 240D 4-speed 234k -- turbo and tuned IP, third world taxi hot rod

2 Samuel 12:13: "David said to Nathan, “I have sinned against the Lord.” And Nathan said to David, “The Lord also has put away your sin; you shall not die."