View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 05:37 PM

This reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago. Now, right up front, I'll tell you that I'm not a big G-Wagon fan. If I lived in the Yukon, OK. But for a daily driver? Not my thing. And a G55??? Really??? But, I get paid to fix 'em, so fix 'em I do.

One of my client's had a G55 with some "intermittent issues". He was going on vacation and he asked me to drive it for a few weeks to see if I couldn't figure them out (I did). One morning I dropped my son off at school and headed to work. I was driving along, with my "intermittent issues" antenna up, when I saw a local cop pull out of a parking lot, and come up behind me pretty fast. He followed me for a minute or two then lit me up. I pulled into the Dunkin Donuts parking lot, rolled the window down, and shut the engine off.

As the officer approached, I noticed he was less than half my age. He was accompanied by another officer who was about my age. The rookie was looking over the G pretty good. I think he liked it. It had some ridiculous after-market wheels as well as some other adornments. The following conversation took place.

Young cop: Good morning sir. May I see your license, registration, and insurance card please?

Me: Of course officer. Here they are. (Kid cop looks at paperwork)

Young cop: Do you know why I pulled you over sir?

Me: Honestly officer, I have no idea.

Young cop: Sir, the reason I stopped you is because this vehicle has tinted windows, and an illegal license plate frame which obscures your tag number. I also see that you have a radar detector, which is illegal in NJ.

Me: Son, do you really think I own this POS???

At this point the older cop starts laughing his ass off!

Young cop: You're not the owner?

Me: No, this car belongs to a client of mine. (I show him the repair order, and explain the situation)

He told me to have a nice day and apologized for the inconvenience. I fired her up and went to work. The cops went into Dunkin' Donuts.