View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
I am spending more and more time in Southeast Oklahoma. This is an area that has long been known for hunting, fishing and outdoors activities of all types. By long known I am referring to the last 10,000 years.

The area has always attracted those who can, not those who think they can, live off the land. Guns are a normal fact of life here, and while it is common to own several types of guns you rarely meet a whacked out gun freak like I have run into in larger cities.

The ammo shortage here has always been considered a kind of a joke since the only place that constantly runs out is WalMart. One store that cannot manage its' inventory does not a shortage make, and any sporting goods store in the area has had ammo for sale. There was an initial run on it when this scare came out, but on hunting ammo and not pistol ammo. I don't know anyone who hunts with a pistol.

Due to Treaties with the US there are Native Americans here that can hunt the year round with-in their nations or on set aside areas, but you can only fire so many rounds while out hunting and sadly the number is normally zero since deer don't just wander into your sights.

What has perplexed me since the beginning of this hooey is how even in the face of ample supply there are those that keep insisting this is some sort of great evil when all one had to de was visit a sporting goods store to put the lie to it. It made me wonder if those pushing this story ever purchased ammo.

A friend of mine bragged about buying 5000 rounds of .223 due to the shortage. How, I asked, could he buy 5000 of something that did not exist?
I love your last line!
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.