View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 06:55 AM

Instrument Cluster Woes: WTB

Hey guys,

The radio on my 380sl started turning off again whenever I hit the brights, and sometimes even the brakes. So I re-soldered the post for the brown (ground) wire on the 4-wire connector behind the tach, since that cured the problem the last time I had it.

Well, it cured the problem this time, too. But when I went to put the windows down, they didn’t work, evidently because I neglected to disconnect the battery :-( , and something I did blew fuse 10 which powers the windows. So, I replaced that fuse, and now the windows work again.

However, now the fuel, temp, and oil pressure gauges, comprising the unit the EPC calls the Instrument Cluster, are completely dead — though the economy gauge and every other electronic thing on the car works fine.

After adding the extra ground wire that you guys suggested many times, the gauges still don’t work. So I’m concluding that whatever I did to blow the fuse must have fried something on the cluster, too. Consequently, I was wondering if anybody has ever tried repairing it.

Alternatively, I was hoping that someone here might have one they’d like to sell — though the EPC suggests that the cluster (PN: 0035409447) is unique to the following models: 280sl and slc; 380SL and SLC; 450slc and 500sl.

As this is my daily driver, any help would be greatly appreciated.