View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
So here's a new one, that I think confirms that my (slightly) rough idle note is fuel related, perhaps with the lift pump.

Started the car on a moderately steep hill, put it in drive as soon as oil pressure came up, and it died! The parking brake and main brakes were still applied, so it wasn't from load, it was entirely due to height differential between the tank and the motor.

Started it back up, waited a few minutes, and she drove off fine. I haven't had any issues at all with lack of power (cruises up as fast as I'd like on the freeway) and I just replaced both filters and the in-line filter fuel lines. Going to throw in a can of Startron next for good measure, probably drain the tank and clean the strainer once it's run down toward empty.

It's amazing what minor problems crop up in 30 year old cars... problems you don't see in most other vehicles because they don't last long enough to manifest.
Since thev 1981 300SD is the only one you have that is around 30 years Old I am guessing that is the one that is having the issue.

Park it on a Hill again and try pumping a lot on the Hand Primer. If that works it is likey your Fuel Supply/Lift Pump is having issues.

The replacement Valve Kit fot the Lift Pump is cheap and if you scrounge up an O-ring for the Push Rod inside of the Pump you have done a compete rebuild on the Pump.

Old Style Hand Primers with the shiny Alumium body can also be problematic and cause Air Leaks. I don't know if a worn out would could cause the Fuel to magrate back to the Tank or not.

I also don't know if the Fuel Pressure Relieve/Overflow Valve could have a hand it the issue.

Partially Plugged Tank Screen. I don't know if that can have an effect either.

I don't remember how much but there is a spec for a Vacuum Reading on the Fuel Inlet side of the Fuel Supply/Lift Pump and that is easier to set up then a Fuel Pressure Gauge is.