View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 11:13 AM
Fold on dotted line

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLGUY View Post
Every once in a while I get a call about selling large parts (hoods, doors, glass, etc) from people in other states (I am in CA). I got a call today about a guy that needs a hood in Chicago (MB parts are expensive and scarce there he said). I have heard of a way to transport large parts across the country (called bucket brigade) via other members that travel. Could something like this be utilized here? Could a sticky be created for this service? If someone is traveling, say from Missouri to visit relatives in California, they could post that they could bring parts on their way back (or even drop off in a state in between). Of course they would charge for the service, but it would be a fraction of the cost from a trucking company (especially for large parts), and as a benefit, they would meet new members. Crating or palletizing a body part for shipment via a freight company is expensive, and a lot of work. Even smaller parts that would fit in a trunk could be transported safer and more economically than other methods. This is just a thought, but it might be a good thing to try. Let me know what you think, and/or if something like this could be made a sticky (moderators of course)....Rich
BTW, I hang out mostly in Diesel Discussion, so I may seem like a newbie here.
I have 400 lbs to ship from France to the US and perhaps another 300 lbs to ship from CA.

However, every time I have wanted to ship the parts,
I get the "be a buddy and ship mine with yours for free, ok?"from certain people.

I don't mind sharing the cost but I am tired of freeloaders.

I have just been involved with the repatriation of cars to Europe. There are still 90 more classic cars to ship from the West Coast to the east Coast before they go on a boat for the Old World.

Weather and the holidays are creating a hiatus, which is good, I have other things to do, like liquidate an estate and etc etc. before I have to re-contact the principals and do the paperwork.

And I am still working my last full-time job.

After that, winters in Toulouse and summers in Stuttgart!

1950 170SD
1951 Citroen 11BN
1953 Citroen 11BNF limo
1953 220a project
1959 180D
1960 190D
1960 Borgward Isabella TS 2dr
1983 240D daily driver
1983 380SL
1990 350SDL daily driver alt
3 x Citroen DS21M, down from 5
3 x Citroen 2CV, down from 6