View Single Post
Old 01-05-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cth350 View Post
geez, I step away for about two days and look what happens. Last time I was here, the kid was stuck in San Diego and needed a shop. I go back to work for two days and check back in at the end of a quiet Saturday and I find a long winded skirmish and some truly interesting tools from NASA.

Having fast forwarded through four pages of material, I just wanted to add...
- a socket is a great way to break a bleed screw unless you have the discipline to use a torque wrench.
- 6 point tools are essential and I have made sure to always buy them. So when I was flat on my back in a pick & pull under a 190E 2.6 to grab it's 5-speed and flywheel, I had some choice words for myself when I discovered that the right tool to remove the flywheel is a 12mm twelve point socket and I didn't have one handy.
- Give your mom a break. You may have plenty of reasons to be annoyed with her, but none of us are angles. You gotta start somewhere. See if you can make it through the movie "Because of Winn-Dixie", which was just on HBO an hour back and I got to watch it with my 8 year old. (don't ask, trust me and do it; have I ever steered you wrong?).
- I had another point to make about cresent wrenches, but I forget exactly what I wanted to say and I believe somebody else said enough about them.
- Thanks Phil, much appreciated.

-CTH
PS. Oh yeah, that other point was about a zero lash ratchet I read about in Skinned Knuckles I think. Basically using a one-way clutch like you would in an automatic transmission drive line. It's a ratchet style wrench without the pawl of a ratchet.
Speak for yourself- I tend towards the obtuse.

Let me guess- You never saw that coming.

Adriel- Glad you got it fixed.
1966 VW Type 34 "Grosser" Karmann-Ghia
1963 VW 1500 Variant Pearlweiss
1969 VW Variant Automatic, Perugruen
1971 VW Squareback Automatic, Clementine Orange
2001 E320 4Matic Wagon- Our belated welcome to the 21st century! Polar White
1973 280SEL 4,5 Sliding Roof "The Bomb", Dunkelblau.