View Single Post
Old 01-07-2014, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 SL320 View Post
CF is OK for a mileage trail but it won't uncover out of pocket body repairs or if the owner left the sun roof open in a rain storm. _ALWAYS_have a pre purchase inspection done and buy the car for what _it is_ not for what _the Internet says_.

Some CF junkies blindly rely on a report that is sometimes inaccurate. CF also has questionable marketing stating that if a car lot isn't using _their _ service, they are sub standard and making an effort to hide something.

My 97 SL320 was tagged on CF as having " Moderate rear damage ". It had the rear bumper cover replaced and a shallow dent pushed out of the spare tire well pretty much by hand. No welding and no paint work besides the bumper cover it self. A non car person would have no idea that any work had been performed.

I'd hardly call the damage " Moderate", but a CF addict would hammer the owner for a price reduction or run away from the car claiming the owner was passing off a damaged car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkenvol View Post
"Moderate" is a subjective word. I would consider the repair you described as moderate. Obviously you consider it to be minor. To me, whether CF describes the damage as minor or moderate or severe it tells me to investigate what happened. Once I know the story I can make an informed decision. Like yourself, I wouldn't let a replaced bumper cover sway me from buying an otherwise desireable car.
Agreed, CF is just a guide to use as a starting point. I do not solely rely on CF to make a purchase but it is a good start IMO. The reason for my question is based solely on brand specifics which I am not familiar with. This would be my first MB which I wanted since I was a young kid, both my uncles had a few MB as I was growing up and I always admired them.
As far as accidents go, I think a lot can be hidden, true and that some claims may deter potential buyers. I went to see a very nice 99 w210 that i really wanted, I asked the owner numerous times about accidents and he was always evasive about it. When I got the CF, the car showed to have been totaled and repaired to a clean title. That's when I think a CF is handy. i would never buy a totaled car I don''t care how good it was repaired, but that is just me. BTW he ended up selling the car on eBay for asking price ($6,500)
I too wouldn't let a fender bender stop me from buying an otherwise good car.
A CF void, like the one on this particular car I am looking at may not be at all bad, however, it is also a heads up and a reason to put everything under the microscope and ask as many questions as I can, what has been done and by whom. In this case that led me to know that the owner has gotten newt tires, ball joints, brakes and tires on all 4 corners in the last year and has the receipts to show which to me is good enough.
Like him, I know my way around tools so I will be doing most of my maintenance so if I ever sell the car, the CF will just show no accidents like the car I just sold yesterday.