View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 08:45 PM
Mad Scientist

Dang this thread has wandered. "OIL FILTERS: Which one to buy????"

My answer:

I will only be buying and installing Baldwin P102s, or the equivalent Hastings filter, or lastly, the Fram made-in-Turkey filter.

Why:

1. Contaminants in the cotton-gin filters. I hacked apart a made in Czech Republic MANN oil filter. Dead bugs, dirt, and small gravel/sand has NO PLACE in an engine oil system. Period. I don't think anyone will argue this point with me. All were present in this filter - photos attached.

2. Quality control of the cotton gin filters. If I had confidence that this oil filter would keep that stuff inside the filter, I might consider it's use, at least to use up the ones I have in stock. As it was, the very poor quality control of this filter gave a direct path for this debris to get into my engine. Yes, the bypass filter section dumps straight into the oil pan. Yes, it will go through the full-flow filter before it goes to the engine vitals, except when the overpressure bypass is active. It will also travel unfiltered through the oil pump, and I definitely DO NOT want dirt and such going through my oil pump.

3. Construction of good filters. Hastings and Baldwin use pleated paper with known and stated filtration abilities. The made-in-Turkey Fram filter uses CLEAN cotton string as a filtering medium.

4. Cost is not a concern. The Hastings filters are available online for the same price as the MANN filter that I do not consider acceptable.

That's it, those are my reasons. If you're in the PNW(or outside the PNW and want to pay shipping) and think that the MANN filters full of cotton field mowings are acceptable for use, send me a PM. I have one that I won't be using that I'll trade for a decent cup of coffee.
Attached Thumbnails
OIL FILTERS: which one to buy????-1389408027520.jpg   OIL FILTERS: which one to buy????-1389408045297.jpg   OIL FILTERS: which one to buy????-1389407904437.jpg