Thread: Replacing EZL
View Single Post
Old 01-13-2014, 01:01 AM

Gentlemen,

I used to sell the thermal compound by the gallon in my sand-box days..It was used for the mating of power transistors to large blocks of aluminum which is common in high powered power supplies, and 3kWatt and larger audio amplifiers

The best thermal compound will NEVER DRY UP......The Chinese stuff is junk and watery...Do not buy it...The Stuff you can buy in the USA by GC electronics, AVVID, MG Chemicals, etc... is excellent stuff. It never comes in a syringe!! It always comes in a tube!! The paste will settle, so do not use the clear liquid.

Now, the purpose of this thermal compound is to promote thermal conductivity of two microscopic un even surfaces. Too much compound defeats the thermal conductivity of the EZL to the body of the car, little, or no compound also defeats the thermal conductivity, and ultimately reducing long life of the EZL.

Always scrap the old dried stuff with plastic spatula, and wipe COMPLETELY clean with denatured Alcohol from the home center, or any evaporating solvent like electrical contact cleaner. The surfaces must be silky smooth with no dirt bumps, and lightly sand any burrs..

The Application of the grease should be with a glove in a swirling motion, and the coat of grease should be semi-transparent where you can barley barley see the surface. The grease needs to be even, and the swirling motion with a index finger or thumb will achieve this... Apply the grease on both mating surfaces. It is WORSE to put too much then little...

Their is a ebay seller that sells the American made grease that is the best. Just buy three or so 1oz tubes...

New Aavid Thermalcote 249 Thermal Joint Compound CPU Heat Sink Paste 28g 1oz | eBay

This applies to the cars with voltage regulators for climate fans..

I hope this answers the mystery thermal compound!!

Martin