View Single Post
Old 01-21-2014, 11:57 PM
dieselarchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Matt View Post
So had an issue with my garage door that caused some hood and windscreen damage failed safety stops and screw drive spells disaster for Benz hood stops, hinges, cowl, hood and glass.

The INS Co's preferred body shop overestimated the repair costs because they said they did not want the work and over estimated everything. To many over estimations to list. I'm going to a know Benz friendly independant shop tomorrow weather permitting for a follow up estimate complements of another form member.

So based on the limits of my stated value policy the ins co is considering the car a total loss based on the policy value and not fair market value of $5050. They've demanded the title so they can have MD flag the title as salvage even though the damage is far less than 75% of fair market value.

A form member here has offered to sell me all the parts I need to fix her back up so I'm fighting that salvage status but may loose.

If I loose do I keep the car with the salvage title and fix it knowing that my resale options will be severely limited or part her out. I was planning on passing the car on in a year or two as I'm due for a relocation about then. This is a nice clean rust free southern car just abt everything is new. 211k chassis abt 190k+/- on swap in engine and 15-20k on trans.

Tips, suggestions and offers for assistance appreciated.
I don't see how they can force you to surrender the title if you want to fix it.
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.