View Single Post
Old 01-23-2014, 04:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Matt View Post
So had an issue with my garage door that caused some hood and windscreen damage failed safety stops and screw drive spells disaster for Benz hood stops, hinges, cowl, hood and glass.

The INS Co's preferred body shop overestimated the repair costs because they said they did not want the work and over estimated everything. To many over estimations to list. I'm going to a know Benz friendly independant shop tomorrow weather permitting for a follow up estimate complements of another form member.

So based on the limits of my stated value policy the ins co is considering the car a total loss based on the policy value and not fair market value of $5050. They've demanded the title so they can have MD flag the title as salvage even though the damage is far less than 75% of fair market value.

A form member here has offered to sell me all the parts I need to fix her back up so I'm fighting that salvage status but may loose.

If I loose do I keep the car with the salvage title and fix it knowing that my resale options will be severely limited or part her out. I was planning on passing the car on in a year or two as I'm due for a relocation about then. This is a nice clean rust free southern car just abt everything is new. 211k chassis abt 190k+/- on swap in engine and 15-20k on trans.

Tips, suggestions and offers for assistance appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Matt View Post
Thanks for all the advice.

Filing and insurance commission complaint at the prompting of my agent because she's on my side and can't get anywhere with the total loss team. I think she's with me because she get a cut of my insurance premiums but also because when I got the stated value policy 4 years ago it was so I could tag an inoperable vehicle and park it on the street while I was swapping the engine and making it mechanically sound. I made the mistake of not changing the policy values out of ignorance after I got her running.

For value of our cars check NADA you'll be very surprised the retail value range from $5050 to over $11k.

The cowl is tweaked a good bit but I might be able to hammer out most of the dents or cut the ends off and weld new ones on once I pull the hood off.

As for the fighting sometimes the fight is more about what's right than what it's worth. Canceling that calim is not an option at this point and my wife's patience with the whole exercise is up and she's pushing for me to take the cash and run.

Not sure which way I'm going to go.

The salvage status on the title still limits my sale options as some states do not title cars with salvage titles.
Perhaps I missed it, but what amount of money is the insurance company offering you for the car total loss?

Or, are they offering to repair it?