View Single Post
Old 02-07-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Stokes View Post
I've found lots of threads on timing the IP but none on making sure that the IP is on the right position on the timing chain. I'm guessing that there should be a mark somewhere, likely visible thru the vacuum pump hole. I'll happily pull the vacuum pump (it's going away anyhow) to inspect this. My cam-to-vibration dampner alignment is picture perfect.

My Haynes manual is useless for this so:

- What is the procedure to verify the gross injection pump alignment (as opposed to the fine timing performed by adjusting the pump)?

Thanks

Dan
With the Fuel Injection Pump installed there is no visible Timing Marks anywhere on the exterior of the Fuel Injection Pump.
What Stretch is speaking is if you pull out your Fuel Injection Pump you will find on the End of the Fuel Injection Pump Camshaft a finely Splined Coupling (I don't think it can be called a Gear).

On the Coupling 2 of the Splines are missing and that part when lined up with a Mark on the Front Bearing Cap of the Fuel Injection Pump Times it.
But, before the Fuel Injection Pump is installed it the Crankshaft Damper timing makes need to be lined up to 24 degrees before top dead center on the compression stroke.

Some of the Fuel Injection Pumps have a port on the side for the use of a Locking Timing Pin to be inserted into. When you use that the pump is timed to about 15 degrees after top dead center.

Before dealing with the Fuel Injection Pump Timing you might consider checking the Timing Chain Stretch (has mainly to do with the Valve Timing but the same Chain drives the Fuel Injection Pump) and if that is off you might consider using an offset Woodruff Key to correct it or if it is extremely bad replacing the Timing Chain.

Please note that way back there was a mistake made in marking the Bearing Caps on the front of the Fuel Injection Pump. I don't know the specifics of which pumps that applies to.
The year Engine and Model number would be needed to get some idea if that is the case. That info is in the Manual.
Attached Thumbnails
IP/Timing Chain Timing. OM617-fuel-injection-pump-timing-mark-correct-lined-up-center-screw-jan-14.jpg