View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 AM

Service done

Since I was not able to obtain any written info from the independent mechanic that was servicing my car before I purchased it, I decided to do all the fluid changes. I begun today with the following:
-Oil change
-Fuel filter
-Air Filter
-Cabin air filter

I had been smelling a rather strong diesel smell around the front of the car for the last two weeks, but since I was already prepping to do the service, I figured I'd wait to look into it. Quite a surprise, I found a major leak from the fuel lines going into and coming from the filter. I don't know if it was due to a bad clamp but the fuel was puddling both on the filter top and the belly pan.

After installing new filter and clamps, I used my handy dandy hand pump to prime. Engine started on the first crank with no hesitation

Cabin Air Filter

Air filter

Oil change

At the end of the day, aside from the cold weather, my only complain was a filthy engine bay. I guess I shouldn't expect much in this regard from a 75 yearold guy, but I was very surprised to see how much filth there was under the plactic covers. Maybe I am too anal with my cars and for now this one will have to wait for better weather. I took some time to clean what I could today as I was doing the service, luckily this will be a once a year thing so once I have the engine bay looking the way I want to, all I'll have to do is maintain it.

Much cleaner engine bay, still a long way to go

To do list:
-SBC system bleed (scheduled at local MB for feb 19th)
-Transmission service (waiting for nicer weather)
-Rear differential fluid replacement (to be done with transmission)
-Engine coolant

By Land:
2005 E320 CDI (Unnamed as of yet)
2011 Toyota Tundra DC limited 4x4 "Big Red"
1965 euro import VW Beetle "Mojo"
By Sea:
22' Grady White Seafarer "SeaSun Pass"