View Single Post
Old 02-09-2014, 08:45 PM
DD MOD, HVAC,MCP,Mac,GMAC

I would drain and change the power steering fluid and filter, change the transmission fluid and filter, and the differential fluid and filter.
that'd be my #1 after oil and fuel filters.

also, as it's a OM603 motor that came with the #14 head, I'd pull the block drain, and radiator drain, and totally flush the coolant out, and refill with a 50% mix of distilled water with MB coolant, or Zerex G05 coolant. then I'd pull the radiator fan, the fan clutch, and the belt tensioner and replace them all with new. for the fan, get the 1998 turboOM606 plastic fan, and the matching fan clutch. (get the fan shroud as well if you can...) while you have the belt and fan out of the way, it's a perfect time to inspect your Vacuum pump, as they have a rep for failing and taking out the motor. pull and replace if it's still got the original crimped on cover, pull and inspect the bearing cage if it's got the bolted on cover.

after you have it on the road a while, get a feel for the steering and tracking of the car. if it's weavy then you need to look into the suspension. ball joints, control arm bushings, sway bar bushings, rear control arm bushing and trailing arm bushing, tie rods, subframe bushings, and links... wheel bearings...
lots of fun stuff to work on back there.

My drivers:
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5Turbo
1987 190D 2.5-5SPEED!!!

1987 300TD
1987 300TD
1994GMC 2500 6.5Turbo truck... I had to put the ladder somewhere!