View Single Post
Old 02-11-2014, 11:35 AM
He/Him

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeliveryValve View Post
I have no problems with using synthetic 75w90, in fact I run it in my vehicles. Both Mobil 1 and Lubro Molly with not a peep of gear or bearing noises.

What I've experienced and what I know is that differentials do get dirty with conventional fluid, especially units that have not been changed out for 100,000 miles. Now are you telling me you are not going see crap inside a diff with 100,000 mile conventional fluid? And are you going to tell me the detergents of a synthetic fluid will not loosen it all up? We agree to disagree.

I have a 1983 300TD which has a little over a quarter million on it. I recently dropped the diff while replacing the subframe mounts. I cleaned the crap out of the diff when I took it off. I have yet to refill the diff with fluid as the car is not yet driving.

Are you suggesting that convential oil OR running synthetic with an additional change is better than just switching to synthetic outright? I'd like to know what type of "crap" you're talking about. I'm pretty sure 90% of that "crap" is removed when the diff cover is removed and the diff is wiped clean. I do tend to agree that if it's just a drain and fill that plenty of debris will remain and another change (synthetic or conventional) will need to be done shortly.

Back to my TD. I'm planning on putting 75w90 LubroMoly in it. Since it's not that expensive or that inconvenient, would it benefit the discussion if I filled it with something different? Would another change of the oil in say 1,000 miles show anything in your opinion?

I'm pretty sure changing the oil with the cover removed to wipe out debris will be more beneficial than the choice of replacement oil. But I'm kinda curious as to what difference synthetic oils will make.

I recondition w123/w126/w124/w140/r107/r129/ steering boxes!

1984 300D "Elsa" odo reset 6/2011 147k
1983 300TD "Mitzi" ~268k OM603 powered
1995 E300 "Adelheid" 262k [Sold]