View Single Post
Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM
Registered Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI View Post
That was pretty funny, but sad, because it really points out how stupid we were a couple of generations back...and you still see some of that attitude nowadays. The area I live is seriously diverse, the laundromat is owned by a family from Turkey and most of the patrons are Asian (predominantly Filipino) with a mix of ME, black and hispanic. I'm often the only white person there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t walgamuth View Post
I have observed some ME people with male children in action. I concluded that perhaps they did not believe women should discipline male children. I could be all wrong about that but I just surmised that might be the case.
That's as good an explanation as I can muster, and I hadn't thought about it from that perspective. Of course that's because it's nonsensical, but much of tribal culture seems that way to westerners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by INSIDIOUS View Post
As interesting as your experience was, I'll guess the laundromats are not on average attendance "a cross-section of your community" or any. Most people seeing poverty in the rear view mirror with some distance seldom attend. In fact making the investment in laundry machines if possible is a long term financial benefit - like not borrowing money and the like. Some better off people use them for the nasty jobs, only. Some because of circumstance like: travel, school, or what ever. I'd bet serious money there is a strong inverse correlation between wealth and attendance. Most people who don't have to attend, do not. Unless you are in Jorn's neighborhood. What was that zipcode again?
I didn't mean to imply that it was a statistically perfect cross-section, and indeed, no place you go to really could be. Merely that you're more likely to see the diversity in cultures, though not necessarily from a socioeconomic standpoint. Although I'm well above the lower end of the economic strata (not many Mercedes in the lot at the laundry), and I could easily afford the appliances, I can't put a washer/dryer in my apartment. I choose to live there because it's close to work. Commutes in this area absolutely suck, and home prices are insane, so I just stay put. You can rest assured that when I retire or quit I'll be gone pretty quickly.