View Single Post
Old 02-18-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry View Post
Never been to Quebec City. It's on my list. Not sure if winter is when I want to visit.
you need to visit once each season. Pretty much as close as you can get to going to European city on this continent. Much of the city wall still remains

The boat race across the St Lawrence through the rushing ice on the river has to be seen to be believed. Didn't see it this time, but last time was able to get a good position to watch. Basically, those people are certifiably insane, and everyone loves it

heres a vid I found on youtube-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0M4W4WNdoxw

The Frankaphones are an interesting group. You really get a sense of such a division from the rest of Canada. I was watching the Olympics up there, and Canadians from the province of Quebec were celebrated and discussed on the news as if Quebec was in the Olympics as its own nation, not a part of Canada. Canadians from outside the province were given little screen time by comparison, and the whole sense of nationality as a separate entity is really noticeable to a foreigner like me.
I got a sense of a people undecided, angry with their ancestors for not breaking free, and deciding even now as to whether separate is better, or worse. The local museum on Quebec history really gives this impression weight.