Thread: Wheel Well Wow
View Single Post
Old 02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
dieselarchitect

I found this on Wiki:

David Learmount, an aviation expert of Flight International, told BBC about a lot of ignorance in this area. He suggested that no one would be willing to risk such journey, having full understanding of this kind of ordeal.[2] Stowaways who survived usually traveled relatively short distances or at a low altitude.[2] One case is known of a person who survived an altitude of about 38,000 feet (12,000 m).[3] Almost all aircraft stowaways are male.[2]

In one reported case, in 2003, a young man mailed himself in a large box and had it shipped on UPS planes from New York City to Texas. He survived because the box travelled in a pressurized hold of an aircraft.[4]

From 1947 until September 2012, there were 96 known stowaway attempts worldwide in wheel wells of 85 separate flights, which resulted in 73 deaths with only 23 survivors.[2]

Its not something I'd want to try!
[SIGPIC] Diesel loving autocrossing grandpa Architect. 08 Dodge 3/4 ton with Cummins & six speed; I have had about 35 benzes. I have a 39 Studebaker Coupe Express pickup in which I have had installed a 617 turbo and a five speed manual.[SIGPIC]

..I also have a 427 Cobra replica with an aluminum chassis.