View Single Post
Old 01-21-2003, 07:59 AM

Changed the oil - Observations

I changed the oil on my '02 C320 this past weekend. The hardest part was getting the garage from -4 to a reasonable comfortable temp. :-)

The process was very easy if you have ever changed oil on any car before. First, I put it up on the new "Rhino" ramps, slid under and removed the 2 plastic under-carriage pans. It's true that you only need to remove the rear on, but I took them both off and cleaned the dirt, etc. The drain plug is obvoius with it's copper washer gasket. Undo the plug and be prepared for a little clean up on the floor since it's near impossible to guess where the stream will initially go. While that is draining, unscrew the filter housing and remove the old filter assy. Pretty straight forward replacing it. Remove and replace the o-rings push on the new cartridge and screw it back in. I torqued it to 25nm as specified. Put the drain plug back in. Put in 8 qts. Mobil1 0w-40, fire it up and check for leaks. Pans back and you're done.

Having now changed the oil at 4800 miles, I can tell you it certainly could have gone longer. Not that I will though :-) (anal oil changer) The oil that came out was almost as clean looking as the oil that went in. I know that's not necessarily a good measure of "good oil" - just an observation. The wifes Exploder's oil is BLACK at 3500 miles. MB = Clean engine!!!

Brian